We all have visions of building our dream home, but keeping a large project like this on budget can quickly turn into a nightmare without proper planning – both for immediate expenses as well as the costs associated with maintaining the home over time. Make sure your investment now offers you all the comfort and affordability you want in the years to come by following a few simple tips.
- Find the right builder.
- Make a list of potential builders in your area. Here is a list of EfficiencyCrafted℠ builders.
- Do your homework. Conduct interviews, visit a builder’s completed homes and check references before you make your final selection.
- Confirm the builder understands your vision and is willing to offer creative solutions to meet your needs.
- Agree on the process for communicating and approving cost or budget changes.
- Make a plan and stick to it. Change orders can be costly.
- Build in a cushion for unexpected costs. Even if you have a plan, things can change and preparing for these initially will ensure you stay on budget.
- Prioritize must haves and nice to haves, and understand the costs associated with each.
- Keep a long-term view and don’t sacrifice durability or comfort. Don’t cut corners to save a little up front. Instead, look long term to see if your decisions now could produce even more savings over time. For example,
- Using high quality, energy efficient equipment and materials can increase the life of your home’s systems and protect your investment.
- Energy efficient homes like EfficiencyCrafted℠ Homes use less energy to provide more comfort, year-round. Properly designed energy efficient homes can also help manage indoor air quality.*
*Rupert, Porter, Cantrell, Lee, “Energy Efficient Homes: Indoor Air Quality and Energy,” University of Florida – IFAS Extension; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy1044